How much Metamucil (a psyllium husk fiber supplement) do you have to drink each day to control your hunger?
In my case, it turns out I don’t need very much.
Other times in recent years when I’ve used Metamucil, I’ve used a lot of it. Like, a heaping tablespoon or more, 3 or 4 times a day. It required drinking tons of water and made me feel uncomfortable.
This week though, I decided to try using a whole lot less to see if it would still keep me from being hungry all the time.
I set up a regimen that took into account these rules:
a) Don’t take metamucil at or near the same time you take any meds, because it will make the medicine less effective, and
b) Take the meds when it’s most convenient to take them, and fit the metamucil doses around that.
c) Eat what you want (my personal rule). Don’t deny yourself foods you want, even if they’re bad for you. Maybe ask yourself, “Do I have to have this right now, since I know I can have it later if I want?” …and if you can wait, then wait.
My prescription meds are for high blood pressure. One is a diuretic so the earlier I take it in the morning, the less I have to get up during the night to pee. Another I have to take twice a day, about 12 hours apart, and the last I have to take at bedtime.
Oh… and I work from home which gives me a lot of flexibility on when I do what. So my routine for the last week has been this:
1. Wake up at 6 or 7 because I need to pee. Take the diuretic (hydrochlorothiazide, aka HCTZ) with 8 to 10 swallows of water, and go back to bed. Sleep until I need to pee again.
2. Get up for real. Mix up just a heaping teaspoon of metamucil and drink it, with extra water. Work for a couple of hours.
3. Breakfast… but I’m not very hungry! I’m satisfied with a fruit (about 100 cal) and about 300 calories of something fatty/cheesy/junky. Take the two-times-a-day pill. Then work some more.
4. Go without eating until dinner time, because I’m pretty full. Without metamucil, I’d have been starving at 4PM. Instead I last until 5:30 or 6. Dinner is whatever I want, and I’m satisfied with about 1000 calories. I try to include plants but don’t always succeed. Actually I’ve been eating a lot of little Michelina’s frozen meals, or even frozen White Castle cheeseburgers.
5. Drink another heaping teaspoon of metamucil & water at about 8 or 9.
6. Eat a snack at bedtime (midnight) if I think I need it to sleep better. Less than 300 calories, hopefully 100. We’re talking a couple of little cookies, or a cup of skim milk. Also, take the bedtime pill and the other twice-a-day one.
This routine has kept my daily calories below 2000. And taking the water pill and then going back to bed makes my ankles really small when I get up the second time.
Before this week, I was probably eating about 3500 to 4000 calories a day, because I was hungry all the time. I couldn’t stop eating… usually some satisfying combination of starch and cheese.
Metamucil has made it easier to do without, and I’ve lost 4 pounds so far. (It takes about 3500 calories a day to maintain my 300 pound weight, so if I cut calories I lose weight pretty fast.)
Not tons of Metamucil; just a couple of servings.