By: Steven Walters
There are many things you can do to enhance your new diet plan and accelerate your weight loss efforts. Here are 10 diet plan hacks that will have you losing weight like Jared from Subway fame.
1. No to fruit juice. Most of you might think that fruit juice is good for you, but think again. Juice is fruit with the fiber removed and in addition it is often loaded with sugar. If you want fruit then have the real thing.
2. Stick to water. By drinking water and unsweetened tea (preferably green tea) you can take hundreds of calories a day out of your diet and really start to see some results immediately. Just 500 calories a day is equivalent to 1 pound a week and you can get that in just a few sodas or fruit juices. Plus water helps to flush your system. Remember that our bodies are 90% water and drinking enough helps every part of you.
3. Create a new good habit each day. Many of us eat the same things day in and day out, not because they are nourishing, but because it has become a habit. Change those bad habits into good habits. For example, I switched from a snickers bar in the middle of the afternoon to a piece of fruit. Even if you make just one small change daily they will add up over time and you’ll be much healthier.
4. Change your lifestyle. Your diet is not a one time event, it is the way you feed your body day in and day out. We often say that we are “on a diet”, but this is a misnomer because you are always on a diet. It’s just that some diets are more healthy for us than others. Change your lifestyle so that you think of your diet as something positive that you do for yourself.
5. Get plenty of sleep. Researchers have found that lack of sleep can contribute to weight gain. Proper sleep is a necessary part of any weight loss plan. Make sure you get 7 hours a night or more to be at your best.
6. Eat 5-6 small meals per day. Yes, it may seem strange to eat 5-6 meals a day when you’re trying to lose weight, but this is the secret to getting to the next level in your fitness goals.
Eating 5-6 small meals per day is the key to a fast metabolism. Every time you eat a meal, your body’s metabolism starts up a new spin cycle caused by the thermic effect of food.
In fact, a portion of the calories you consume are burned through the simple act of digestion. This thermic effect can range from 3% to 30%. Lean protein causes a thermic effect of up to 30%. This means you burn 30% of the calories you eat from chicken breast, fish, and egg whites. Vegetables have a thermic effect of around 20%. However, fats and refined carbohydrates have a very low thermic effect of only 3%. This is one of the reasons it’s so easy to gain weight when you are eating lots of carbohydrates and sugars.
When you’re eating 5-6 smaller meals that are centered around high protein and fibrous vegetables, your body will burn through the calories.
A higher metabolism creates a fat-burning machine. The longer you practice this meal plan, the more muscle you’ll develop. The more muscle you develop, the faster your metabolism will become. It’s a win-win situation.
Unfortunately, it’s something that way too few people are taking advantage of. Most people try to starve themselves and in the process they kill their metabolism. In doing that, they also kill their fat-burning potential.
Five or six small meals a day accelerates your body’s natural rate of calorie burning.
Best of all, frequent meals also prevents binges and controls cravings. When you’re eating every three hours, your body stays satisfied and your energy levels stay high.
7. Don’t avoid all fats. It may sound strange and counter intuitive, but it is actually a good thing to eat some fats when trying to lose weight. The fats you want to eat are the “good” fats that will help keep your immune system working and will actually help keep your metabolism higher.
They’re called essential fatty acids. You may have heard of them. They go by the name of Omega 3, Omega 6, and Omega 9 and they are essential to a healthy diet.
8. Add variety to your meals. Don’t get stuck in a rut with your diet. Eating a variety of meats, fruits and vegetables and experimenting with different herbs and spices will keep you more interested in your new diet.
9. Get your Fiber. Fiber provides several benefits to you. It makes you feel fuller so you eat less and it slows down the digestion of fats and carbohydrates so you feel full longer.
10. Eat more slowly. Americans eat their food way too fast. If you want to lose a few pounds then slow down when you eat. It can take 20 minutes after your full for the message to get from your stomach to your brain. If your stuffing food into your mouth for that 20 minutes imagine the excess calories you’re taking in. Slow down and take the time to enjoy your food.
About the Author
(ArticlesBase SC #245572)